Hi! I hope everyone had a great weekend! I was in school both days, so not much exciting. I did have a great mini-dinner party on Saturday night, and I made a vegan feast from my newest cookbook. It was super good! I will share all the details tomorrow.
This recipe could not be simpler. I ran into a little troubl, though. I started to make it, then realized I was OUT OF EGGS! You cannot make cornbread without eggs. What to do? Make a vegan egg. Another great lesson from my cookbook :)
To do that, you mix ground flaxseed with water. Yeah, I know. I was skeptical, too. It works though! The rule of thumb is one tbs flax, per 3 tbs liquid. Stir it up and let it sit for a few minutes.....you've got a flax egg! Here it is in my cornmeal mixture....
I added creamed corn, green chillis, and cheddar cheese to make this "Mexican" cornbread. Mmm...
I baked this for 25 minutes, until it was golden and crispy on the edges. That's my favorite part!
I also brushed the top with butter- naturally.
To serve the bread, I took little spoonfuls out and topped it with sour cream and salsa. It was a little bite sized appetizer!
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup(s) Milk
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Corn meal, probably with the flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1 can(s) Creamed corn
- 1/2 cup(s) Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup(s) Sugar
- Break eggs into large bowl and beat slightly, add milk, stir in cornmeal, soda and salt, add creamed corn, green chillis, cheese, butter and sugar. Mix all together until all ingredients are combined.
- Prepare 9x13 baking dish or a cast iron skillet, grease with butter and sprinkle bottom with corn meal for easy removal. Bake 450 for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and salsa!